Home World The investigation found that the Israeli army’s killing of three hostages “was preventable.”

The investigation found that the Israeli army’s killing of three hostages “was preventable.”

The investigation found that the Israeli army’s killing of three hostages “was preventable.”

The Israel Defense Forces on Thursday released the results of an investigation into the killing of three Israeli hostages who were shot by IDF soldiers in Gaza on December 15.

The investigation concluded that the Israeli army “failed in its mission to rescue the hostages,” and that “the entire chain of command feels responsible” and “regrets this outcome.”

The IDF said that while the soldiers “executed the correct procedure according to their understanding of the event at that moment,” the deaths could have been prevented.

The report on the investigation’s findings summarized what happened in the days leading up to the shooting, which angered the Israeli public and intensified scrutiny of the Israeli military campaign. The United States urged Israel to adjust its operations in the Gaza Strip, citing concerns about the high civilian death toll.

IDF spokesman Daniel Hagari said on Thursday that the results of the investigation had been shared with the families of the hostages, Yotam Haim, Samer Talalqa and Alon Shamrez.

On December 10, IDF soldiers raided several buildings in Shujaiya, a neighborhood east of Gaza City that had seen heavy fighting (the IDF said last week that it had taken control of operations in Shujaiya). During the raid, Israeli army soldiers heard calls in Hebrew asking for help. The IDF report said they estimated it was a trap by Hamas operatives who sought to deceive them. She added that such methods have been used in the past.

On December 14, the Israeli military said signs reading “SOS” and “Save Three Kidnapped” were seen on a building located about 650 feet from where the hostages were killed the next day.

During “intense fighting” on December 15, an IDF soldier shot three “people” whom he considered to be a threat. Two were killed, while the third fled, according to the results of the investigation. The Israeli army said that the soldier who fired the first shots “stood in a position with limited view” of the hostages.

Commanders declared a ceasefire to try to identify the third person who called for help minutes later. The Israeli army said that another ceasefire order was issued and that the person “came out of a building towards the force.” But two soldiers did not hear the order to stop firing “because of the noise of a nearby tank,” so they shot and killed the third person.

The Israeli army said that the hostages left the building without shirts and one of them was waving a white flag.

The Israeli military said Hamas fighters holding the three men were killed in the raid on December 10, citing an analysis that included footage from a dog-mounted camera sent to the building.

The three hostages appeared to have fled the building after the raid on December 10, as the Israeli military said, “on an escape mission.”

The results of the investigation stated that “the Chief of Staff decided that it was possible to prevent the hostage injuries.” In addition, the Chief of Staff explained that there was no malicious intent in the incident, and that the soldiers acted correctly according to their understanding of the event at that moment.”

Hagari on Thursday praised the three hostages for “trying to do everything in their power to indicate to us that they are in the area,” saying: “We are responsible for what happened.”

Noting that there were still 129 hostages in Gaza, he said that the Israeli army had a “duty to learn lessons as quickly as possible.”

[Summarize this content to 100 words]


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here