Home World Military leader Burhan is visiting eastern Sudan on his first trip outside the capital since the conflict broke out

Military leader Burhan is visiting eastern Sudan on his first trip outside the capital since the conflict broke out

0
Military leader Burhan is visiting eastern Sudan on his first trip outside the capital since the conflict broke out

The head of Sudan’s army gave a rare public speech on Monday in his first trip outside the capital since the conflict with a rival general erupted in mid-April.

Sudan was thrown into chaos after months of tension between the military, led by General Abdel Fattah Burhan, and the Rapid Support Forces, led by Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, erupted into open fighting on 15 April.

In the eastern coastal city of Port Sudan, Burhan said a military operation involving naval and air forces allowed him to leave the capital’s army headquarters safely. Two people were killed in the action, he said.

The conflict has reduced the capital to an urban battlefield, with the RSF controlling large parts of the city. The military command where Burhan has reportedly been stationed since April has been one of the epicenters of the conflict, besieged by RSF forces.

Burhan said no deal had been made “with the traitors or with any party outside the Sudanese people” to facilitate his departure from the capital.

US OUTSIDES CHINA, IRAN COME OVER IN LATEST AGREEMENT WITH SAUDI ARABIA: ‘SIGN OF THE TIMES’

Middle East graphics

Sudan’s military leader Abdel Fattah Burhan visited eastern Sudan on his first trip outside the capital since the conflict broke out on April 15.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The violence in the northeast African country is estimated to have killed at least 4,000 people, according to Liz Throssell, a spokeswoman for the UN human rights office. However, activists and doctors on the scene say the death toll is likely to be much higher.

In a statement issued late Sunday, Dagalo unveiled a new initiative that could restart peace talks between the two forces.

The 10-point plan, titled “Sudan Reborn,” calls for a lasting ceasefire, democratic elections and a unified army.

Formal peace talks brokered by the US and Saudi Arabia in the Saudi coastal city of Jeddah took place in May and June. But the talks were formally suspended in late June, with both mediators publicly calling out the RSF and the army for continually violating the ceasefires they had agreed to.

There have been at least nine ceasefires since the conflict broke out in April, and all have been established.

Summarize this content to 100 words

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here